Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Fish!  (Read 498504 times)
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: November 01, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »

We may not hear from WV for a few days. Snowshoe Ski Resort which is close to him had 18" of snow yesterday. I found an article from yeaterday. Power may be out for a while.

Most were less concerned with the snow and more concerned about being without power for days on end, as they were after the late June "derecho" wind storm.

Click here for link
Poor ol' Mary Hill had a running tab at the local general store. Years ago, she was in the process of "setting down" a few items when the owner's daughter said no, not until she paid some money on her account. Mary Hill had been paying and charging on this account for maybe 30 years, and was a little frustrated at being told her credit was no longer in 1-A status. Gravel flew everywhere as she peeled out and into the glass facade of the store and she kept her foot on the gas until she hit the cash register. 

A couple days ago, Mary Hill stopped by the "Monster Storm" relief shelter to get a couple dinners to go. She was told that the shelter did not allow dinners to go and that if she wanted to join everyone else to eat she was more than welcome. She argued that she would rather eat at home with her husband, but the volunteer remained vigilant. She put the styrofoam dinner boxes down and huffed off toward her truck in the parking lot...

Thank God one of our local guys overheard and ran the dinners out to Mary Hill before she got the truck in gear. Chances are good that the disaster relief worker was from out of town and also had very little understanding of what a real disaster entails.

As some of you have seen me saying, I am tied to the computer and telephone (land lines) 24 hours a day and nearly every day of the year. So power outages are not my friend. This time I had the foresight to arrange for my "co-coordinator" to take over ahead of time. I saw the light bulbs on my desk lamp flicker, so I made the call to Houston to arrange a transition. Ten minutes later my phone was dead and the house shifted to Generac.

So power outages have become my chance to get out and socialize-- see what the boys are up to, drive around and see what might be new in town. A couple of days ago I rode to the aforementioned general store. But before I got there I saw a group of men sitting on tailgates at the entrance to the local cemetary. Seems they hang out there during outages to scope out the women coming to get water (dead people water) from the cemetary hand pump.  I hope this explains why I prefer to spend my hours on a Bama football forum.  Anyway, I finished my afternoon of hob knobbing at the local bootlegger's to buy moonshine. My Park Ave. lawyer buddy is visiting soon and wants to enjoy the moonshine experience. This turned into a big argument, me contending that someone along the chain has been watering down the shine with grape, cherry or orange fruit punch. It just seems, and I pointed this out as strongly as possible, there is no code of ethics anymore,--even amongst liquor runners.  What in Sam's Hill is this world coming to? 

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6111

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 01, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »

We may not hear from WV for a few days. Snowshoe Ski Resort which is close to him had 18" of snow yesterday. I found an article from yeaterday. Power may be out for a while.

Most were less concerned with the snow and more concerned about being without power for days on end, as they were after the late June "derecho" wind storm.

Click here for link
Poor ol' Mary Hill had a running tab at the local general store. Years ago, she was in the process of "setting down" a few items when the owner's daughter said no, not until she paid some money on her account. Mary Hill had been paying and charging on this account for maybe 30 years, and was a little frustrated at being told her credit was no longer in 1-A status. Gravel flew everywhere as she peeled out and into the glass facade of the store and she kept her foot on the gas until she hit the cash register. 

A couple days ago, Mary Hill stopped by the "Monster Storm" relief shelter to get a couple dinners to go. She was told that the shelter did not allow dinners to go and that if she wanted to join everyone else to eat she was more than welcome. She argued that she would rather eat at home with her husband, but the volunteer remained vigilant. She put the styrofoam dinner boxes down and huffed off toward her truck in the parking lot...

Thank God one of our local guys overheard and ran the dinners out to Mary Hill before she got the truck in gear. Chances are good that the disaster relief worker was from out of town and also had very little understanding of what a real disaster entails.

As some of you have seen me saying, I am tied to the computer and telephone (land lines) 24 hours a day and nearly every day of the year. So power outages are not my friend. This time I had the foresight to arrange for my "co-coordinator" to take over ahead of time. I saw the light bulbs on my desk lamp flicker, so I made the call to Houston to arrange a transition. Ten minutes later my phone was dead and the house shifted to Generac.

So power outages have become my chance to get out and socialize-- see what the boys are up to, drive around and see what might be new in town. A couple of days ago I rode to the aforementioned general store. But before I got there I saw a group of men sitting on tailgates at the entrance to the local cemetary. Seems they hang out there during outages to scope out the women coming to get water (dead people water) from the cemetary hand pump.  I hope this explains why I prefer to spend my hours on a Bama football forum.  Anyway, I finished my afternoon of hob knobbing at the local bootlegger's to buy moonshine. My Park Ave. lawyer buddy is visiting soon and wants to enjoy the moonshine experience. This turned into a big argument, me contending that someone along the chain has been watering down the shine with grape, cherry or orange fruit punch. It just seems, and I pointed this out as strongly as possible, there is no code of ethics anymore,--even amongst liquor runners.  What in Sam's Hill is this world coming to? 

Huh?  I don't know what all that crap was about but welcome back.
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 01, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »

Click here for link

Huh?  I don't know what all that crap was about but welcome back.
Thanks. Just had some things to unload-- using Big Fish like a pop-off valve.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:59 PM »

Have you looked into satellite based internet like hughes net?  If you need to have access during power outages it might be a good backup plan.  I'm not sure if you still need a land based connection for uplink or if it transmits directly to the satellite somehow.  If you do still need a land based connection then obviously it doesn't do a lot of good as a backup plan.  But if not, then you could still be connected as long as you have a generator.  And you could use one of the internet based phone companies to have a phone line too.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 02, 2012, 05:50:14 AM »

Have you looked into satellite based internet like hughes net?  If you need to have access during power outages it might be a good backup plan.  I'm not sure if you still need a land based connection for uplink or if it transmits directly to the satellite somehow.  If you do still need a land based connection then obviously it doesn't do a lot of good as a backup plan.  But if not, then you could still be connected as long as you have a generator.  And you could use one of the internet based phone companies to have a phone line too.
Hughesnet came up in a conversation with the Houston tech guy yesterday. It is rapidly getting obvious that something needs to change. It was always a given that the phones remained on during power outages, but that isn't holding true for broadband internet. It is also getting obvious that the power company is still playing "catch-up" from last summer's storm. I may have more questions on this for you SC. If so, I'll start something in Paty Hall.

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 02, 2012, 06:20:36 AM »

Reports of New Yorkers " widespread dumpster diving" after only 4 or 5 days of storm outages and damage. LOL. They must not be very resilient people. My guess is they are far too dependent on the government for their well being.

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 02, 2012, 08:36:27 AM »

Hughesnet came up in a conversation with the Houston tech guy yesterday. It is rapidly getting obvious that something needs to change. It was always a given that the phones remained on during power outages, but that isn't holding true for broadband internet. It is also getting obvious that the power company is still playing "catch-up" from last summer's storm. I may have more questions on this for you SC. If so, I'll start something in Paty Hall.

Glad to help if I can.  I know a guy that had it several years ago, maybe 10 or so, when he lived out in a rural area and didn't have any other options.  I talk to him all the time.  If I remember correctly, he did not need any sort of land based connection for uplink, to my amazement.  The little dish they put in his yard also transmitted up to the satellite out in space.  I still have a hard time believing that, but I think that is what he told me back then.  I will ask him about it the next time I see him.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Leroy
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 1906

Leroy

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 02, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »

Glad to help if I can.  I know a guy that had it several years ago, maybe 10 or so, when he lived out in a rural area and didn't have any other options.  I talk to him all the time.  If I remember correctly, he did not need any sort of land based connection for uplink, to my amazement.  The little dish they put in his yard also transmitted up to the satellite out in space.  I still have a hard time believing that, but I think that is what he told me back then.  I will ask him about it the next time I see him.

I've had HughesNet for about 5 years now. It's really the only option out here in the country where I live other than dial-up and dial up's lack of speed drove me crazy.  It's a little pricey (based on daily download capacity limits) but works well except during bad thunderstorms and I would imagine snow events too but we don't get many of them in SoWeGa...Whenever your Dish Network or Direct TV goes out you can pretty much bet that Hughes will go out too.  You have the dish connected to a modem connected to your computer and the modem needs an AC power source.  I've used it running off an extension cord plugged into my generator during prolonged power outages and it worked fine. HTH

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 03, 2012, 05:16:49 AM »

GameDay!

pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6111

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 03, 2012, 07:07:41 AM »

Do you think those cajuns are drinking yet?
cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 03, 2012, 08:02:04 AM »

Does Lester eat grass?

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 03, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »

Does Lester eat grass?
Probably all hanging out at the Krystal.

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 03, 2012, 11:20:59 AM »

My power is again flickering so I hope to complete this post, but while I have always enjoyed living in South Louisiana the people down there are a bunc

SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 03, 2012, 11:27:47 AM »

My power is again flickering so I hope to complete this post, but while I have always enjoyed living in South Louisiana the people down there are a bunc

Laughing

cbbama99
Coach Wallace Wade

E-Cred: 2889

Male

cbbama99

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 03, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »

One good thing about living here in Maryland during the Who game this year: the smell of Corndog isn't as strong here as it is in Mobile.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 390
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0