Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 ... 882 883 884 885 [886] 887 888 889 890 ... 3917   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD***  (Read 13035384 times)
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #13275 on: September 29, 2011, 08:44:44 AM »

The OLD GUYS have no less than 25 theories on why the leaves change and what makes a brilliant fall. Some go with the amount of rain for the summer, above or below average. Others say this determines the speed or rapidity of change. Some say too dry the leaves just fall off. The next guy says temperature is the determining factor. Some think it is controlled by the folks at the Farmer's Almanac. What I've learned by carefully listening, is that the OLD GUYS don't know what the Hell they are talking about.

This OLD GUY'S theory is that it take cool temps overnight to set them off. A 2-3 day stretch of freezing temps (overnight) will set them off. If it has rained more than average in September, the brilliant show will last a little longer. Too dry and the leaves just fall off.

I'm an "old guy", and I know why.  The colors are established, in part due to temperatures and nutrition, during the summer.  The green masks the other colors.  As the leaves begin to die, the green pigment is lost first, exposing the underlying colors.  Some is genetic, some is environmental. 

If I tell you more I'll have to charge you. 

Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #13276 on: September 29, 2011, 09:15:30 AM »

Any objections to fast-forwarding to Saturday?
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #13277 on: September 29, 2011, 09:19:32 AM »

Any objections to fast-forwarding to Saturday?
Hit it!

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
Jamos
Coach Gene Stallings

E-Cred: 5801

Male

Jamos

View Profile
« Reply #13278 on: September 29, 2011, 09:20:49 AM »

Morning all, finally got all of my wife's chores done.  Coffee

“There were no arguments, those are called ass-chewings,” . Coach Nick Saban
Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #13279 on: September 29, 2011, 09:26:24 AM »

This video reminds me of last weeks game against Arkansas: Shooting Hogs from a Helicopter with a semi-automatic AR15!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE</a>

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #13280 on: September 29, 2011, 09:26:41 AM »

The OLD GUYS have no less than 25 theories on why the leaves change and what makes a brilliant fall. Some go with the amount of rain for the summer, above or below average. Others say this determines the speed or rapidity of change. Some say too dry the leaves just fall off. The next guy says temperature is the determining factor. Some think it is controlled by the folks at the Farmer's Almanac. What I've learned by carefully listening, is that the OLD GUYS don't know what the Hell they are talking about.

This OLD GUY'S theory is that it take cool temps overnight to set them off. A 2-3 day stretch of freezing temps (overnight) will set them off. If it has rained more than average in September, the brilliant show will last a little longer. Too dry and the leaves just fall off.

I'm an "old guy", and I know why.  The colors are established, in part due to temperatures and nutrition, during the summer.  The green masks the other colors.  As the leaves begin to die, the green pigment is lost first, exposing the underlying colors.  Some is genetic, some is environmental. 

Temperature definitely plays a huge roll. This explains the consistency in the leaves changing earlier in the north and later in the south. A few days of frost/freezing simply put, sets them off ALL at once making a more brilliant show. There.

pmull
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 6111

Male

pmull

View Profile
« Reply #13281 on: September 29, 2011, 09:27:13 AM »

We have a rare Thursday night high school game tonight. Austin is playing Coach Hank Crisp's Shades Valley team tonight at home in Decatur. We hope to go to 5-1 on the season. I'm looking forward to it. We are looking good for the playoffs but we still have two very tough games at Gadsden and Clay-Caulkville at home.
2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #13282 on: September 29, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »

We have a rare Thursday night high school game tonight. Austin is playing Coach Hank Crisp's Shades Valley team tonight at home in Decatur. We hope to go to 5-1 on the season. I'm looking forward to it. We are looking good for the playoffs but we still have two very tough games at Gadsden and Clay-Caulkville at home.

Good luck to Austin. 
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #13283 on: September 29, 2011, 09:37:41 AM »

Hank had first hope the one guy that knows the way to Decatur shows up. As a people they are not very smart. They always leave 2-3 hours early to make up for missed turns and stopping for directions. God forbid there be an interstate sign reading, "Decatur Left".

Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #13284 on: September 29, 2011, 10:07:30 AM »

Temperature definitely plays a huge roll. This explains the consistency in the leaves changing earlier in the north and later in the south. A few days of frost/freezing simply put, sets them off ALL at once making a more brilliant show. There.

Day length and temperature (including frost) stimulate hormone releases in the trees.  The hormones cause the trees to stop sending nutrients to the leaves.  With that the green disappears and the red/yellow shows through.  Then those colors fade as the leaves die.

You owe me $20 or an e-cred.  

Chasm.

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #13285 on: September 29, 2011, 10:17:12 AM »

I'm an "old guy", and I know why.  The colors are established, in part due to temperatures and nutrition, during the summer.  The green masks the other colors.  As the leaves begin to die, the green pigment is lost first, exposing the underlying colors.  Some is genetic, some is environmental.  

Day length and temperature (including frost) stimulate hormone releases in the trees.  The hormones cause the trees to stop sending nutrients to the leaves.  With that the green disappears and the red/yellow shows through.  Then those colors fade as the leaves die.

Chasm.

My e-creds are hard earned and I try to be thrifty in spending them. I am not sure what I am buying but don't want the reputation of not paying debts. So  Applause E-Cred

Sar
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:20:28 AM by BAMAWV » Logged

Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #13286 on: September 29, 2011, 10:19:44 AM »

I'm an "old guy", and I know why.  The colors are established, in part due to temperatures and nutrition, during the summer.  The green masks the other colors.  As the leaves begin to die, the green pigment is lost first, exposing the underlying colors.  Some is genetic, some is environmental.  

Chasm.

My e-creds are hard earned and I try to be thrifty in spending them. I am not sure what I am buying but don't want the reputation of not paying debts. So  Applause E-Cred

You're buying an education.  

Education.  One of the few things a person is willing to pay for and not get.
    (William Lowe Bryan)

It pays off.  E* back at ya.

Coach Hank Crisp
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 983

Coach Hank Crisp

View Profile
« Reply #13287 on: September 29, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »

Austin should win easily. I don't think the Shades Valley football team is as bad as their 0-5 record indicates. They have played some of the best teams in the state and have been out matched. They had a chance to beat Pell City but blew it. The other losses came against better more talented teams in Mt. Brook, Gadsden City, Clay-Caulkville, and Hueytown.

Mountain Brook 35 - 0

Pell City 41 - 33

Gadsden City 49 - 0

Clay-Chalkville 41 - 7

Hueytown 36 - 20

This is the second time this year that Shades Valley Band won't travel to the game. The other was Gadsden City. JC sux!

2Stater
President Denny

E-Cred: 7921

Male

2Stater

Kazowie!

View Profile
« Reply #13288 on: September 29, 2011, 10:25:31 AM »

I am glad you guys had this conversation about leaves. It has cleansed our minds of the pitiful diatribe that Jumbo CB and I engaged in yesterday about the weather. 
Hannibal Lecter, MD
Coach Wallace Wade

Hannibal Lecter, MD

View Profile
« Reply #13289 on: September 29, 2011, 10:26:24 AM »

Anyone catch "Rocket City Rednecks" last night?  The National Geographic channel kicked the show off by showing 4 episodes.  I did not catch them, but working at an engineering firm in Huntsville, it has been the talk of the office this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 884 885 [886] 887 888 889 890 ... 3917   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 281
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0