Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 ... 446 447 448 449 [450] 451 452 453 454 ... 3917   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ***CRIMSON RED DAILY THREAD***  (Read 13034686 times)
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6735 on: May 13, 2011, 04:21:11 AM »

Good morning

Morning.  I was filling out a report about the Western Tanager I saw.  The local bird fans want a record for their 'rare-bird records'.

Wow.  I picture a group of dudes listening intently while their fearless leader reads aloud about the exciting encounter.

Today is going to be a tricky one, going to need some luck on the weather it looks like.  

1. There are people who are waaaay too serious about birding.  They probably do sit and listen to each other talk.  I usually avoid them, but reported this bird to ensure a record for this area.  One was seen here 3 years ago, so it's not a first.
2. Tricky because of the weather or the work?  No rain at all here yet.  Was supposed to start last night.

1. people are weird, but I respect people who embrace their weirdness and just go with it.

2. Yes weather, in drilling there is a lot times where you can't stop where you are, other times it's just not good to stop where you are, so logistically weather days can be tricky.

2. a better way to say this might be we have preferred stopping points, such as after a well.  Stopping mid well can be impossible sometimes, and other times just not environmentally sound.

So, it's taking a couple of hours for each well?

Actual augers in the ground is probably around 3 or 4 hours each.  

How deep?  I forgot what you and WV were saying.

30 to 90, probably wont have any go deeper than that.  We are setting top of rock wells, so we drill to rock and we're done.  It's karst out here, so told of rock is all over the pacle, just depends on weather you hit a hole in it or not.
Karst I understand. Told of rock?  Can tell you're thinking about the rain today.

ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

E-Cred: 1460

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: May 13, 2011, 04:23:33 AM »

Good morning

Morning.  I was filling out a report about the Western Tanager I saw.  The local bird fans want a record for their 'rare-bird records'.

Wow.  I picture a group of dudes listening intently while their fearless leader reads aloud about the exciting encounter.

Today is going to be a tricky one, going to need some luck on the weather it looks like.  

1. There are people who are waaaay too serious about birding.  They probably do sit and listen to each other talk.  I usually avoid them, but reported this bird to ensure a record for this area.  One was seen here 3 years ago, so it's not a first.
2. Tricky because of the weather or the work?  No rain at all here yet.  Was supposed to start last night.

1. people are weird, but I respect people who embrace their weirdness and just go with it.

2. Yes weather, in drilling there is a lot times where you can't stop where you are, other times it's just not good to stop where you are, so logistically weather days can be tricky.

2. a better way to say this might be we have preferred stopping points, such as after a well.  Stopping mid well can be impossible sometimes, and other times just not environmentally sound.

So, it's taking a couple of hours for each well?

Actual augers in the ground is probably around 3 or 4 hours each.  

How deep?  I forgot what you and WV were saying.

30 to 90, probably wont have any go deeper than that.  We are setting top of rock wells, so we drill to rock and we're done.  It's karst out here, so told of rock is all over the pacle, just depends on weather you hit a hole in it or not.
Karst I understand. Told of rock?  Can tell you're thinking about the rain today.

wow, yeah, I was distracted.  Top of rock, and whether.

Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: May 13, 2011, 04:26:55 AM »

Start a new line.

I hear thunder just now.  The radar shows lots of rain coming at me, mostly up near Memphis.

Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: May 13, 2011, 04:32:57 AM »

Start a new line.

I hear thunder just now.  The radar shows lots of rain coming at me, mostly up near Memphis.

Karst surprises me.  I know there are caves all over north Alabama, but I think of Huntsville as granitic soils (in my limited knowledge).

ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: May 13, 2011, 04:33:19 AM »

Start a new line.

I hear thunder just now.  The radar shows lots of rain coming at me, mostly up near Memphis.

I need to talk to that girl for a minute...

I wish the weather people had a freaking clue.  The geology department at South Alabama is in the same building as the meteorology dept.  Those kids are smart and take a lot of really hard classes.  Problem is weather is inherently chaotic.

ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: May 13, 2011, 04:37:49 AM »

Start a new line.

Karst surprises me.  I know there are caves all over north Alabama, but I think of Huntsville as granitic soils (in my limited knowledge).

No, I would do some more research on that, I am not aware of any igneous rocks in this area.  You have to go east to piedmont plateau and then you get some granite and metamorphic rocks.

Huntsville is Tuscumbia LS, Chattanooga Shale, there's a chert on top of those I dont know the name of right off hand, havent hit it yet.

Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: May 13, 2011, 04:40:29 AM »

Start a new line.

I hear thunder just now.  The radar shows lots of rain coming at me, mostly up near Memphis.

I wish the weather people had a freaking clue.  The geology department at South Alabama is in the same building as the meteorology dept.  Those kids are smart and take a lot of really hard classes.  Problem is weather is inherently chaotic.

Hippy.  Good memories.

Weather seems to have enough stochastic properties that it can't be predicted easily.  Just in the past 10 years they've gotten better at forecasts.  Certainly hurricane paths are better predicted, as are broad-scale patterns of fronts.  But local weather is still a guessing game it seems.

Lots of lightning.  I'm on battery now to protect the computer.  I might lose connaction if one of these hits any closer.  TV satellite is still up.

ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: May 13, 2011, 04:41:39 AM »

Start a new line.

Hippy.  Good memories.

Weather seems to have enough stochastic properties that it can't be predicted easily.  Just in the past 10 years they've gotten better at forecasts.  Certainly hurricane paths are better predicted, as are broad-scale patterns of fronts.  But local weather is still a guessing game it seems.

Lots of lightning.  I'm on battery now to protect the computer.  I might lose connaction if one of these hits any closer.  TV satellite is still up.

Is it heading east?

Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: May 13, 2011, 04:42:46 AM »

Start a new line.

No, I would do some more research on that, I am not aware of any igneous rocks in this area.  You have to go east to piedmont plateau and then you get some granite and metamorphic rocks.

Huntsville is Tuscumbia LS, Chattanooga Shale, there's a chert on top of those I dont know the name of right off hand, havent hit it yet.

Good, I learned something.  I used to crawl though caves, so I generally knew where the karst topography was.  But I only went caving in Alabama a few times; mostly VA and WV.

Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: May 13, 2011, 04:44:35 AM »

Start a new line.

Hippy.  Good memories.

Is it heading east?

NE, just like the bad storms of 2 weeks ago.  But it doesn't look like tornadoes, just severe TS.

ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: May 13, 2011, 04:44:53 AM »

Start a new line.

Good, I learned something.  I used to crawl though caves, so I generally knew where the karst topography was.  But I only went caving in Alabama a few times; mostly VA and WV.

Yay!  I taught the doctor something.

ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: May 13, 2011, 04:47:55 AM »

Start a new line.

Hippy.  Good memories.

Is it heading east?

NE, just like the bad storms of 2 weeks ago.  But it doesn't look like tornadoes, just severe TS.

Ok, that gives us time, maybe even a good part of the day, thanks I wasnt having any luck animating the weather map.

ssmith general
Coach Frank Thomas

Male

ssmith general

View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: May 13, 2011, 04:54:02 AM »

They have already moved the arrival time back an hour on weather.com.  I bet you 50 cents we dont see a drop today.

Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: May 13, 2011, 04:58:11 AM »

They have already moved the arrival time back an hour on weather.com.  I bet you 50 cents we dont see a drop today.

Click here for link

This one?

Chechem
President Denny

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: May 13, 2011, 04:59:13 AM »

Click here for link

This one?

Just had a surge and lost the TV.  And the clocks (dam).

Pages: 1 ... 446 447 448 449 [450] 451 452 453 454 ... 3917   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 255
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0