Marshal Dillon Marshal Dillon
E-Cred: 3072
bamaphil bamaphil
E-Cred: 2962
Hannibal Lecter, MD Hannibal Lecter, MD
E-Cred: 2961

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sore points  (Read 17313 times)
BAMADCHAMPSHIPS
Coach E. B. Beaumont

E-Cred: 3378

Male

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 01:07:58 PM »

He is building depth on the OL and every other position in case we need it later in the year.  This tells me that he is not really concerned about the short term and he thinks our starting players have got things covered.  He wants to get some depth at every position, which indicates to me that he thinks the biggest potential problem we might have is a key injury down the stretch during crunch time.  If that were to happen, how much better is it going to be that these guys have already played several games with this "shuffle"?  We don't want the injury game to be the first time that Jones plays at center, for example.  But think about it, CNS would not be worried about having a backup center IF he thought the first string center needed to work on some things, now would he?  The same goes for all of the other positions.  After 3 games it is clear that he is trying to build depth right now.  You don't worry about the 2nd string so much when you think the 1st string has issues to work on.  If the 1st string has issues, you get those resolved first and just pray you don't have an injury.  Building this kind of depth is a luxury only afforded to teams who are in good shape on 1st string.

I expect that we are going to maul Arkansas.  I know that they have been pointing to this game since last year, and I was very concerned about that before the season started.  To them, this is the game that transitions them from an also ran to a national championship contender.  They have been getting ready for us since spring practice.  It won't matter.  NOBODY will score any significant points on our D.  NOBODY.  This is not Auburn or Miss State where the plan is to ignore the defensive side of the ball and just try to beat somebody 52 to 49 with an onside kick with less than a minute to go.  They will be lucky to get in the 20's on our D.  They gave up 28 to Troy.  Yes, that Troy.  3 TDs scored by Troy's offense and 1 pick 6 by their D.  Troy gained 457 yards to 454 for Arkansas.  They may be another one of those over hyped teams that only worries about offense, in which case they will be clobbered.

I am not the least bit concerned about Arkansas.  Can we lose?  Absolutely.  But I think the more likely outcome is a victory with a score something like 31-20.

Very logical post SC but I think your score is off. I see the score more 40-10. With all the passing I think Ark will do I think we will get 1 if not 2 pick 6'es. Just a gut feeling the only thing that will back it up is the box score Saturday night.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

E-Cred: 5654

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »

I figure we will get some pick 6's too.  It was very hard, but I was able to resist the urge to give my usual score prediction of 98-0.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
Chechem
President Denny

E-Cred: 7228

Chechem

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 01:13:55 PM »

He is building depth on the OL and every other position in case we need it later in the year.  This tells me that he is not really concerned about the short term and he thinks our starting players have got things covered.  He wants to get some depth at every position, which indicates to me that he thinks the biggest potential problem we might have is a key injury down the stretch during crunch time.  If that were to happen, how much better is it going to be that these guys have already played several games with this "shuffle"?  We don't want the injury game to be the first time that Jones plays at center, for example.  But think about it, CNS would not be worried about having a backup center IF he thought the first string center needed to work on some things, now would he?  The same goes for all of the other positions.  After 3 games it is clear that he is trying to build depth right now.  You don't worry about the 2nd string so much when you think the 1st string has issues to work on.  If the 1st string has issues, you get those resolved first and just pray you don't have an injury.  Building this kind of depth is a luxury only afforded to teams who are in good shape on 1st string.

I expect that we are going to maul Arkansas.  I know that they have been pointing to this game since last year, and I was very concerned about that before the season started.  To them, this is the game that transitions them from an also ran to a national championship contender.  They have been getting ready for us since spring practice.  It won't matter.  NOBODY will score any significant points on our D.  NOBODY.  This is not Auburn or Miss State where the plan is to ignore the defensive side of the ball and just try to beat somebody 52 to 49 with an onside kick with less than a minute to go.  They will be lucky to get in the 20's on our D.  They gave up 28 to Troy.  Yes, that Troy.  3 TDs scored by Troy's offense and 1 pick 6 by their D.  Troy gained 457 yards to 454 for Arkansas.  They may be another one of those over hyped teams that only worries about offense, in which case they will be clobbered.

I am not the least bit concerned about Arkansas.  Can we lose?  Absolutely.  But I think the more likely outcome is a victory with a score something like 31-20.

Very logical post SC but I think your score is off. I see the score more 40-10. With all the passing I think Ark will do I think we will get 1 if not 2 pick 6'es. Just a gut feeling the only thing that will back it up is the box score Saturday night.

Well, you boys can post those scores in this week's pick 'em.  I'd be happy enough with 17-16; not thrilled, but we just need to win.  This weekend's games have shown how easy it is for a top-24 team to lose.  I think LSU and Oklahoma will lose a regular-season game.  Care to guess who will beat LSU?

BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »

A fact that some of you should keep in mind is that the average KO return is the 28 yard line. Those real high kicks make teams bring it out and risk fumbling, when the returner gets leveled with a NFL classic knock down hit. They'd be better off to fair catch the KO or take a knee. LOL

Now let me get off this thread before someone sees me.

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
BAMADCHAMPSHIPS
Coach E. B. Beaumont

Male

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »

I will post my score in this weeks pick'em. Grin  Bama will beat LSU

SC 98-0 would be great but CNS will show class and give the backups more experience about the middle of the 3rd qtr.
ricky023
President Denny

E-Cred: 5062

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 01:36:33 PM »

I sure hope it is Alabama but I hope we don't lose one game during the season because Boise is going undefeated. RTR!

John 15:5
"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
BAMAWV
Coach Nick Saban

E-Cred: 2454

BAMAWV

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 01:38:37 PM »

SC 98-0 would be great but CNS will show class and give the backups more experience about the middle of the 3rd qtr.
Platoon ball is a thing of the past. Bama is shuffling guys in and out, early and often, depending on situational needs. HTH

If my standards are not high enough, kindly lower yours.
BAMADCHAMPSHIPS
Coach E. B. Beaumont

Male

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 01:42:49 PM »

Platoon ball is a thing of the past. Bama is shuffling guys in and out, early and often, depending on situational needs. HTH

Yeah I realize that. I'm talking along the lines of the backups backups/walk ons.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 01:43:08 PM »

A fact that some of you should keep in mind is that the average KO return is the 28 yard line. Those real high kicks make teams bring it out and risk fumbling, when the returner gets leveled with a NFL classic knock down hit. They'd be better off to fair catch the KO or take a knee. LOL

Now let me get off this thread before someone sees me.

You are absolutely right about the KO coverage.  We are outstanding in this area for the first time under Saban.  I meant to post this before:  We will get a fumble recovery on a KO soon because of a big hit.  Write it down.

"The same thing win, that always won... and we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose"
ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 01:46:50 PM »

Cody needs some Red Bull to help his leg out. I wish he could get some height on them balls at least if he is going to go 39 yds only. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »

Cody needs some Red Bull to help his leg out. I wish he could get some height on them balls at least if he is going to go 39 yds only. RTR!

On a positive note, if we need him to pooch it inside the 5 he is the man.  Cheesy

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS
Coach E. B. Beaumont

Male

BAMADCHAMPSHIPS

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 01:52:09 PM »

I only want to see him on the sidelines. That's not a knock on him. I just prefer TD's over punting.
SUPERCOACH
Coach Bear Bryant

Male

SUPERCOACH

"Let's go."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »

I only want to see him on the sidelines. That's not a knock on him. I just prefer TD's over punting.

Applause E-Cred

ricky023
President Denny

Male

ricky023

To Be One Ask One

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »

Applause E-Cred

Well now that is one I agree with for sure. We are going to have to pick up the speed if we keep him on the sidelines though. RTR!

"The Preacher"
"Rangers Lead the Way"
1/75th Rangers
bamalum67
Grad Student

E-Cred: 119

Male

bamalum67

Bama born and Bama bred

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »

Ok, OK, I really don't need the valium..I am a realist, and I just do not see the DOMINANCE on the field from a defense that EVERYONE says is the best yet at BAMA and tops in the nation..nor do I see the dominance from an OL and RB's..one of whom is a HT candidate..

Some of you say CNS is holding back trying not to show too much..really?  Did any of you see his red faced sidelines tirade last night?  

I might concede that the staff is trying to check out 2nd and 3rd level players and to develop them and what better chance to do so than in games like this.  But then how do you explain the times the "ones" were in there and we failed to push short yardage for a 1st down, or to score in the red zone?

And you tell me that missing 2 40 yard FG's is not common for our kicker?  As far as I am concerned he was 0-2 at 40 yds last night. I gotta say there WILL be a game or two where we will need a 43 yarder to close the win..right now, I can't trust him to produce.

WRT the kick-offs, if we don't put it into the end zone, yeah, we MIGHT make a big hit for a fumble and recover..then again, we MIGHT just overrun the runner and let him loose for a big gainer, even a TD.  Might, Might, Might, If If If. Maybe Maybe Maybe. I say put it in the end zone and remove any doubt!

Hey, I am BAMA born and BAMA bred, got crimson blood..but I want to see see dominance from a no 2 in the nation team!

"It ain't the size of the dog in the fight..it's the size of the fight in the dog"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Next Game

vs.

Day: Saturday
Date: 8/31/2024
Time: TBD
TV: TBD
Radio: Fun 92.7
Tuscaloosa, AL

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 512
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0